COLONEL DANIEL J. WHIPPLE
Colonel Daniel J. Whipple is the Wing Vice Commander, 110th Attack Wing, W.K. Kellogg Air National Guard Base, Battle Creek, Michigan. He is Wing Vice Commander of approximately 1,000 personnel where his responsibilities include oversight of four groups and several tenant units. The groups include an Operations Group, Mission Support Group, Medical Group, and an Air Operations Group. The tenant units include the Defense Logistics Agency, STARBASE, AAFES, Michigan State Police, and the Merit Network. The 110th Attack Wing has 241 full-time technicians and Active Guard Reservists; drill status manning is 579 personnel.
Colonel Whipple began his military career in January, 1986 when he enlisted in the Ohio Air National Guard as a Heavy Equipment Operator. In 1989 he transferred to the 235th Air Traffic Control Flight, Indiana Air National Guard, to become an Air Traffic Control Operator. He was selected to become the Chief Air Traffic Control Officer in 1993 and was commissioned in 1994. In 1997, Colonel Whipple transferred with his unit to the Michigan Air National Guard. In April of that year he was hired full time to serve as a Civil Service Technician. He took command of the 235th Air Traffic Control Squadron in June 1998. In 2001 the 235th ATCS was deactivated and he was selected to serve as the 127th Wing Executive Officer. In November 2004 he transferred to the 127th Communications Squadron where he led the unit until 2009. In 2009 he transferred to the 217th Air Operations Group at Battle Creek, Michigan and took command of the 217th Air Communications Squadron which directly supported the 603rd Air Operations Center, 3rd Air Force and US Africa Command. Prior to assuming his current position, the Colonel was the Commander, 127th Mission Support Group, Selfridge ANG Base, Michigan.
1988 NCO Preparatory Course, ECI
1992 Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics, Embry-Riddle Aero. Univ., Fla.
1994 Academy of Military Science, McGee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
1995 Military Airspace Management, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1995 Air Traffic Control Officer Training Program, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
1995 USAFGOS Joint Air Operations Staff Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2001 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, AL Correspondence
2003 Air Command - Staff Course, Maxwell AFB, AL Correspondence
2009 AOC Initial Qualification Training, Communications, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2010 Cyberspace Operations Transition Course, USAF Correspondence
2011 Certified Information Systems Security Professional, ISC2
2012 ANG Commander Development Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
2012 USAF Air War College, Maxwell AFB, AL Correspondence
2012 Air Force Forces Intermediate Staff Course, Ft Custer, Mich.
2016 Air Force Incident Managers Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. January 1986 - January 1989, Heavy Construction Equipment Operator, 200th Civil Engineering Squadron, Camp Perry ANG Base, Ohio
2. January 1989 - March 1992, Air Traffic Control Operator, 235th Air Traffic Control Flight, Fort Wayne ANG Base, Ind.
3. March 1992 - February 1994, Air Traffic Control Supervisor, 235th Air Traffic Control Flight, Fort Wayne ANG Base, Ind.
4. February 1994 - April 1997, Air Traffic Control Officer, 235th Air Traffic Control Flight, Fort Wayne ANG Base, Ind.
5. April 1997 - June 1998, Air Traffic Control Officer, 235th Air Traffic Control Squadron, Selfridge ANG Base, Mich.
6. June 1998 - October 2001, Commander, 235th Air Traffic Control Squadron, Selfridge ANG Base, Mich.
7. October 2001 - November 2004, Executive Officer, 127th Wing, Selfridge ANG Base, Mich.
8. November 2004 - January 2009, Commander, 127th Communications Squadron, Selfridge ANG Base, Mich.
9. January 2009 - April 2015, Commander, 217th Air Communications Squadron, Battle Creek ANG Base, Mich.
10. May 2015 - February 2018, Commander, 127th Missions Support Group, Selfridge ANG Base, Mich.
11. February 2018 - Present, Wing Vice Commander, 110th Attack Wing, Battle Creek ANG Base, Mich.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with nine oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air & Space Campaign Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Longevity Service Award with five oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with star
Air Force Training Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
Michigan State War on Terrorism Medal
Michigan Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Michigan Broadsword Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Indiana National Guard Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Indiana Long Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Indiana Outside Continental United States Ribbon
Indiana Military Voluntary Emblem
Ohio Award of Merit
Ohio National Guard Basic Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb. 17, 1994
First Lieutenant March 10, 1996
Captain March 18, 1998
Major March 18, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel July 28, 2006
Colonel May 6, 2015
(Current as of April 2018)